The philosophy of the department of Nursing Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Ahmadu Bello University, and Zaria takes cognizance of the philosophy of nursing profession vis-à-vis the philosophy of education for Nigeria.
- The Nursing profession believes that man is a bio-psychosocial being and his needs are the focus of all Nursing activities. Man is a member of a family and families make up the communities.
- The health care system exists to meet the needs of the consumers of health care by providing primary, secondary and tertiary health maintenance activities to ensure that individuals, families, group and communities are assisted to maintain a high level of wellness.
- The human environment is a major factor in man’s health status. It is therefore necessary to conceptualize the individual and the environment as open systems engaged in continous and dynamic interaction.
- University education is the key to the growth of a profession. Optimal professional Nursing education can be achieved in an institution of higher learning that provided a foundation for general education in the various sciences and arts.
- Nursing is a science based on the knowledge of behaviour that enable changes in the client system to be monitored by utilizing the scientific method of inquiry while providing Nursing intervention to individuals, families, groups and communities at the primary secondary and tertiary level of health care.